Bacteria called A Streptococcus cause strep throat. It can be found in the nose and throat and is very contagious. If you feel like your child may have this illness you need to take your child his/her doctor immediately.
Some Signs/Symptoms of Strep Throat
- Vomiting or belly pain
- Not wanting to play, tired
- Red small spots on the back of the throat or roof of the mouth
- Sore throat
- Hard time swallowing
- White patches or pus in the back of the throat
- Swollen glands in your neck
- Neck pain
Important Things to Know
- This can only be treated with antibiotics
- Make sure your child finished all the antibiotics
- Throw away the toothbrush after your child has been on the antibiotics for 24 hours and replace it with a new one
- Keep people away from your child while he or she is sick
- Strep Throat is very serious. Without treatment your child can develop throat swelling which can cause difficulty breathing or swallowing. If the infection is not treated, your child can also develop heart problems, and or kidney inflammation.
Seek medical attention immediately if your child develops any of these symptoms.