Infants and children are likely to get ear infections more than adults because they have shorter Eustachian tubes.
Some Signs/Symptoms of Ear Infections
- Pulling on the ears
- Constant crying
- Fluid coming out of the ear
- Not being able to sleep
Common Causes of Ear Infections
- Bottle propping
- Respiratory infections
- Swimming in a pool (can cause water to get trapped in the ear)
- Smoking around your child
- Attending daycare
- Changing climates
- Cold weather
- Having a recent ear infection
Usually your doctor will prescribe antibiotics although some ear infections will clear up on their own. Ear infections hurt. Here are some things you can do to help with the pain.
- Use an over the counter ear drops for pain
- Apply a warm cloth to the ear that is hurting
- Over the counter pain medication such as Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen
- Ask your doctor to prescribe prescription eardrops
Always consult your child’s doctor for any questions or concerns.